Are cockroaches dangerous?
The less than sanitary feeding and living habits of cockroaches make them pests we never want to see scurry across the surfaces of our homes. Some of the biggest reasons why cockroaches are so problematic when they get inside are listed below.
- They contaminate food and surfaces with bacteria, pathogens, and parasites.
- They chew on and damage clothing, furniture, rugs, and other personal items.
- In addition to contaminating food, they contaminate toothpaste, soap, and shampoo.
- Cockroaches produce pheromones to communicate with each other. These secretions are foul-smelling.
- They are a risk factor in the development of allergies and can cause asthma attacks. Young kids are especially at risk for developing asthma because of a cockroach infestation.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
Cockroaches are nocturnal and hide during the day, emerging at night to feed. Being nocturnal means that it can take some time for an infestation to be found. Only when their numbers have grown large enough, will you realize they’re there.
Like the American cockroach, some cockroaches move into new structures independently, while others, like the German cockroach, move from place to place by hitchhiking. Cockroaches are often carried to different locations inside storage boxes, appliances, furniture, and delivery boxes.
Where will I find cockroaches?
German cockroaches live inside with people because they are unable to survive cold temperatures. Our homes and businesses provide these pests with the warmth and humidity they are looking for. Inside our homes, German cockroaches gather in kitchens, damp basements or crawl spaces, inside pantries, and behind wall voids near leaking pipes or air conditioners.
When American cockroaches live outside, you’ll often find them behind tree bark, mulch in flowerbeds, and around sewers or drains. If they decide to move inside our homes searching for food or water, they will hang out in areas similar to German cockroaches. Both species like to hide in dark, humid places like kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
One group of the most unwanted pests in our homes and businesses is the cockroach. The best way to eliminate cockroaches that have found a way into your structure is with the help of an experienced professional. Trust Advanced Pest Control to help you with your pest control needs; we are a family owned and operated business dedicated to our customers and providing advanced treatments that will produce advanced results!
Through thorough inspections, effective treatments, and follow-up services, we solve cockroach problems and stop them from returning. Our professionals are honest, committed to our customers, and provide nothing less than top-of-the-line pest control services.
To learn more about our cockroach control services, contact our knowledgeable team of experts today!
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
At Advanced Pest Control, we have put together a list of helpful pest control tips to assist you in making your property as unappealing as possible to cockroaches.
- Eliminate sources of moisture in your home, such as pipes leaking behind walls or under sinks.
- Make sure your kitchens and bathrooms are well-ventilated.
- Regularly vacuum your floors to remove crumbs, hair, and dead skin from your home that roaches like to feed on. Don’t forget spaces under furniture, appliances, and rugs.
- Seal cracks in exterior walls and around windows and doors to help keep cockroaches out of your house.
- Place covers on vents and drains entering your home.
- Keep hitchhiking cockroaches out of your house by inspecting boxes, furniture, appliances, and flowerpots.
Learn more about our home pest control
and commercial pest control